Holding a Special Event

In October of 2019, Council passed an ordinance outlining requirements for special events. Ordinance 412.07 of the Municipal Code outlines all of the requirements.

If you would like to hold your own special event, you will need a "Special Event Permit". This permit is to communicate the details of your event to the City for approval. This communication is essential for the City to be able to help plan and coordinate any services as they relate to safety.


Do I need a permit?
If your special event involves ONE or more of the following:

  1. Any activity involving entertainment and/or amplified sound, food, beverage
  2. Any activity that may substantially increase or disrupt the normal flow of traffic on any street
  3. Any activity that involves the use of city facilities
  4. Any activity which involves the use of City services that would not be necessary in absence of such an event
  5. Any activity which includes mobile food vehicles as part of the event


What if my event is in my yard or private property?
Then no, you do not need a permit for a private event which is not open to the public. If the event is open to the public you would need a special event permit. 


Does my garage sale need a permit?
As long as they are contained on your own private property and not out on the sidewalk or street then, no, you do not need a permit.


What is the process for getting the permit?
You will need to complete the permit and submit the application and $25 non-refundable permit fee to the Planning and Zoning Assistant at least 30 days prior to the event. Once a review of the application is complete, you will either receive your permit or be asked for further information to be provided within 14 days of receipt of the application.

Special Event Permit